Sunday, August 2, 2020

California 2020 part 1

The boys get a week off school in February each year, and one of our favorite traditions is to escape the snow and head down to sunny California for a week.  Jason always works, so the boys and I get to take a fun little vacation on our own.  It really helps to get me out of my winter funk, and its always an enjoyable time.  This year we stayed at my Grandmas' little house for a few days (she is living with my mom due to health issues) and then Jason used his hotel points to get us a nice hotel room for the remaining five days. It was nostalgic staying at my Grandma's house for two days, but it was tiny and crowded.  I was really excited to get a two room hotel room for the rest of the week. My soul needs to get out and have adventures in order for my mental health to stay sane, and this trip was just what I needed.  The coronavirus was just starting to become an issue at this point, but the shutdown didn't occur for another month, so I made it just in time!

On the way down we decided to stop at Calico Ghost town for a break.  I didn't realize they were having a civil war reenactment celebration.  This normally sleepy town was packed full of people.  Not only was it crowded, but it was also really hot. We just came from 30 degree weather and were melting in the 80 degree desert temps of California.  Chase got sick watching a medical reenactment of how doctors had to remove limbs during the Civil War.  I thought it was fascinating...Chase's queasy stomach did not!











One of our favorite activities is to visit the beach.  My boys LOVE the beach (especially Wesley - I'm pretty sure he is part mermaid). It is ironic that we seem to visit the beach more now that we live in Utah than we did while living in California! California's weather in February can be hit or miss.  However, coming from the snow and below freezing temps, anything above 50 degrees feels warm to us!! Plus, the beach is usually pretty empty!










My Grandma's house in tiny, and she has a tiny yard.  However, she managed to plant a ton of fruit trees and bushes all over her yard.  Sadly, since she cannot live there anymore a lot of the fruit is going to waste.  We tried to pick a lot of her mandarine oranges (the BEST I have ever tasted), but we barely made a dent!





We also enjoy walking around our favorite mall as a family




Hotel time!!  Seriously - having this relaxing space for a week was so nice.  Free breakfast, cleaning service, and pool?! That in and of itself is vacation!


No comments: