Friday, February 10, 2023

Oh Glorious Spring

 

With each passing year, I have come to appreciate not only the beauty of spring more and more, but the beautiful message it gives to the world.  The glorious signs of rebirth, growth, resurrection, and patience.  Spring brings hope and light after a period of darkness and cold. Spring reminds me that winter is not just a time of rest, but a vital part of nature that allows to the natural world a time to prepare for this triumphant time of explosive growth.  I too need winter to allow myself a time to rest, and also to remind myself how beautiful the colors of the earth are.  I never appreciated the warmth of the sunshine until I experienced four months of cold and darkness.  The winter is beautiful, but it is harsh.  I never, in my 30 years of living in California, learned to love and celebrate the spring as I do in Utah.  The Tulip festival is my absolute favorite event of the year.  As much as I love Halloween and everything fall, the tulip festival is when I can breath again.  Seasonal depression almost vanishes the moment my eyes fall upon that beautiful delicate tulip, and my nose drinks up the heavenly aromas. After not seeing a single flower, a blade of grass, or a green leaf for almost five months, this event is as close to heaven as my mortal body can experience. It is the oasis in the desert.  It is the drink of water after thirsting for days.  It is exactly what my soul needs.  















As mentioned before, we had a school store that the boys could visit each Friday.  They received school money each day for completing their assignments without arguing or fighting.  Blake had been saving up, and was able to buy a can of soda (a rare treat in our home), as well as Pusheen.  Since then, this stuffed animal has slept with him each night.  Even two years later, it is still his best friend.  



For our bug unit we really went all out.  We raised our own caterpillars and watched them turn into butterflies.  We also had an ant farm, and enjoyed observing them build tunnels in the sand.  We visited our local Bug museum, painted butterfly pictures, and made observations.  This is what life is about.  Learning as a family while using our beautiful world as the teacher.  










We also made cloud jello - just because! 





We went on more bike riding adventures! 

We went on lots of walks around the neighborhood 



We had puppet shows



I took Blake on a special date to a chocolate factory where we got to dip all sorts of fun treats in chocolate and then decorate them!  It was so much fun! I love this age - just look at his sweet face.  He makes the best date! 




No comments: