Friday, January 21, 2011

I made this quilt!

 There is so much pressure placed on expecting parents to buy all the latest and greatest (and most expensive) baby items out there.  There are special swings/soothers that are supposed to imitate the motion that a baby feels inside the womb (like $150 or more and the baby can only fit in it for a few months)....there are special beds that prop the baby up and are supposed to allow the baby to sleep longer (only costs like $200 and the baby can only use it for about three months!)....there are so many cute colorful gadgets out there....  It gets overwhelming!  After I had Wesley I told myself I would not get sucked into wanting all these expensive items that babies only get to use for a few months.   I am still holding strong, but its impossible to walk into Babies r Us without being bombarded by all the cute, new, trendy (and mostly unnecessary) baby items.  Getting ready for a new baby is a lot of fun, and can get expensive real fast if you buy all the things that American culture says you need!!!  One of the things that I do like to have is a cute, matching bedding set.  My mother in law bought Wesley a really cute, organic, bedding set that I love.  He will still use that stuff for a while, so I decided to get a new set for the baby.  Since bedding sets can get super expensive, I decided to try to make my own.  I am doing an owl/ tree theme for the baby since Wesley is frogs and bunnies.  We will have a cute nature themed room!  :-)  I found super cute fabric online and  I decided to make a quilt.  I have only sewn a few little things in my life, but I wanted to try to make the quilt by hand.  My mom helped me out, but she has never made a quilt before either.  It was a fun experience figuring it out.  My mom was a big help, and it only took about three or four days.  It came out beautifully! (at least I think so!)  I made a matching owl pillow from scratch.  I know babies can't have pillows in the crib with them (and they can't even really use the quilt for a while either), but it makes the room happier :-).  I'm excited to get it all set up in the crib. We  put the new crib up in Wesley's room, but it is filled with old baby items right now, so there is no room to put the bedding in it.   Wesley doesn't even seem to notice (or care) that we totally re-arranged his room.  I think he likes it better this way...we will see how he likes it when there is a crying baby in that extra crib! :-) 


3 comments:

Kristi said...

Too cute! I wish I was that talented. :)

Chelsea said...

I am SO impressed - I love it!!!

Karen Bell said...

very cute! I'm in the process of making a quilt myself, I'm impressed with how fast you did it!