Saturday, December 18, 2021

Spring 2020

It was spring of 2020.  All my boys were home.  We were struggling with e-learning. The world felt like it was collapsing.  My anxiety was skyrocketing.  However, I felt like my main job as a mother was to make sure my boys continued living their best little lives.  Life must go on - safely - but I wanted them to look back on this time with fondness and not fear.  I'm so thankful they had each other during the pandemic.  They really became best friends, and thankfully, they were never alone.  They always had a buddy to play with.  While the world was crumbling, my boys were thriving and thats all my heart could ever ask for.   


Many businesses slowly started opening again. Most restaurants could only serve people outside, so we took advantage and used take-out.   All store required masks, and I was happy to oblige if that meant life could return to "normal." A giant social divide began - the "maskers" vs the "anti-maskers."  As if the world wasn't tense enough, humans started turning on one another.  It felt like those unwilling to wear mask didn't care about others.  Even now as I write this, almost two years later, the divide is still strong and disappointing.   While we couldn't do much, even going out for ice cream seemed like a big adventure.  


Blake has had the most amazing beds during his short little life.  During the pandemic we upgraded Wesley's bed so Blake got to inherit his old loft bed. 

The Pandemic couldn't take away holidays or family traditions.  We still colored eggs and had our usual Easter egg hunt - this time, the boys found extra big eggs as well! 






I dusted off my DSLR and took some fun pictures of my boys.  THIS is what I want to remember about the pandemic.  Not the fear.  Not the angst. Not the sadness and anxiety. These three sweet faces that always make life exciting.  I'm thankful we had the opportunity to spend extra time with each other.  I'm thankful all our extra curricular activities got canceled for a few months.  It really helped me evaluate what is important in life.  It was nice not having to drive a bunch of different places each day - school, piano, soccer, scouts, ski,  and so on. Everything was on hold.  Life felt extra quiet, and I actually really liked it.  





One thing that the pandemic could not take away from me was nature.  For Mother's day we wandered around the mountainside and found a beautiful river.  We also found some snow that we were not quite dressed appropriately for! 






This sweet boy is always leaving me loving messages.  I don't think he will even realize how much sunshine he brings into my life.  








Making cotton candy with the maker Blake got for his birthday! 



When I originally found out the Tulip festival was canceled due to the pandemic, I'm not exaggerating when I say my heart shattered.  The tulip festival always brings so much happiness to my soul.  It signifies the end of winter, and the bright, cheery flowers always wake me up from my winter funk.  If there was ever a time when I needed this touch of sunshine in my life, it was during the year 2020. The universe knew how much we needed this, and miracles happened.  For about a week, the tulip festival ended up opening to the public and all was right in my little world.  This was the first public event we attended since the pandemic started, and even though we were nervous, it was a beautiful, nature-y, joyous occasion!  










Our cute Easter critters! 



Blake loves doing my hair and makeup (and loves it to this day, two year later). This was one of the many things that kept us busy while we were blessed to be "stuck" inside.  








 

No comments: